Solo and Orchestral Trumpeter and Educator

Thoughts on music, trumpet playing, and education from Eric M. Berlin, Professor of Trumpet at the University of Massachusetts and Principal Trumpet of the Albany Symphony and Boston Philharmonic Orchestras.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Exciting new release!

Fantastique - MSR 1506
Premiers for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble


I am so pleased to announce the release of FantastiqueDocumenting a decade of commissioning for trumpet and wind ensemble, I am delighted to share these works with the world.

This labor of love began a decade ago when I asked my good friend Evan Hause to create a wind ensemble orchestration of the Trumpet Concerto the Albany Symphony Orchestra commissioned for me. For the 2007 ITG Conference, I asked Stephen Paulus to create a wind ensemble orchestration of his remarkable double concerto and James Stephenson to write a work for me and our teacher Charles Schlueter. For the final work on the disc I asked my UMass colleague Jeffrey Holmes to write a work for myself and trombonist Greg Spiridopoulos with whom I am fortunate to work nearly everywhere! 


The disc opens with Herald Emeritus Fanfare which was written to honor my UMass predecessor, Walter Chesnut performed by my students in the UMass Trumpet Ensemble. 


Every one of these pieces is a wonderful new addition to our repertoire. I thank the composers for sharing their genius with us. My fellow soloists and the students of the UMass Wind Ensemble are to be congratulated for great performances with very limited recording time. This of course is due in large part to the fine leadership of James Patrick Miller at the helm to steer the ship. Thank you to everyone! 
For those trumpet geeks among you, each of these works has been heard at an International Trumpet Guild Conference as well.
Evan Hause – Trumpet Concerto (Denver 2004)
Holmes – Herald Emeritus Fanfare (Amherst 2007)
Stephenson – Duo Fantastique (Amherst 2007)
Paulus – Concerto for Two Trumpets and Band (Amherst 2007)
Holmes – Continuum for Trumpet, Trombone and Wind Ensemble (Grand Rapids 2013)

Official Release Date is September 1, 2014 - you can order your copy  here http://www.msrcd.com/catalog/cd/MS1506


For more information about the works – please see the program booklet.